Crash with low virtual memory
Substance 3D Painter can be unstable if the paging file ( swap memory/ virtual memory) is set with a value too low .
It is advised to let the Operating System handling these settings (which is normally the case by default). Substance 3D Painter requires a minimum of 16GB of virtual memory in order to work properly.
How to change the virtual memory size on Windows ?
Changing the virtual memory size on Windows will require a restart of the computer.
Access the virtual memory settings with the following steps
- Right-click on the Computer/This PC icon and choose Properties
- Select "Advanced System Settings
- Click on the Settings button of the Performance section
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Click on Change in the Virtual Memory section
Now it is possible to either:
- Enable the checkbox Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
- Select the hard drive where you want to change the virtual memory size and choose System managed size and click on the Set button.