Automatic UV Unwrapping
Substance 3D Painter can automatically unwrap meshes that don't have any existing UVs when importing the 3D mesh.
Enabling the Automatic UV Unwrapping
When creating a new project or re-importing a mesh into an existing project, make sure the setting "Auto-unwrap" is checked. If disabled, the process will be skipped and mesh UVs will remain as-is.
This process is not compatible with the UDIM workflow.
UV Unwrapping Settings
When importing a mesh and using the unwrapping process, the following settings are available. Some settings are available via the Options button in the interface.
Controls if the seams (UV island borders) should be generated only for meshes that don't have them or always regenerated.
Controls if the UV unwrapping should generated from meshes without UVs or for any meshes.
Controls the packing/layout of UV islands of the meshes.
Defines the spacing between UV islands. This setting applies a general percentage independent from the resolution.
Below is a list of limitations related to the unwrapping process:
- Processing high poly meshes can take a long time.
- Vertices at the exact same coordinates are merged
- UV Generation may fail on some mesh parts in some rare cases
- Non uniform or highly distorted texel ratio in a single UV island in some cases
- Non uniform texel ratio between Texture Sets
- UV island generated can be very elongated and do not fit into UV space in some cases
- Degenerated faces or non-triangular mesh faces with small or overlaping edges may not get UV unwrapped