Render layers for GPU
The most important part of Stager is getting your amazing render and our multi-layered PSD output makes it easy to jump straight to Photoshop to do post editing. This was previously only available on CPU, but now works with the GPU renderer as well.
Automatic UV generation preference
You can now import models without UVs. Previously Stager would always run automatic UV generation. Skipping this process can save a lot of time when doing quick renders for in-progress testing or simple renders like a clay material with nice lighting. You can still manually run automatic UV generation in the object menu. You can manage this setting in the preferences to always ask, always skip, or always generate UVs.
Physical light orientation
Lighting is a huge part of scene design and we've made it just a little easier. When you drag a physical light into the scene it will now orient to the surface it's pointed at. This makes a much more natural lighting workflow and saves a few clicks for most 'default' lighting orientations, putting you in a better position to edit the lighting.
Marquee Select tool
The new marquee select tool is perfect for working in large scenes. It allows you to start a marquee box selection in the viewport and selects any object within the region. The select tool can be used to click and drag on objects to push them. Both tools work side by side so you can move or select objects with ease.
The default shortcut for the marquee select tool is Q.
The default shortcut for transform space has changed from Q to T.
Hierarchy navigation shortcuts
Keeping scenes organized usually means using grouped objects to create heirarchy and structure. However, this can make finding parts complicated. We've introduced some new shortcuts to help you navigate your scene easier.
Select parent: Default shortcut [
Select child: Default shortcut ]
(Released November 24, 2021)
Summary : Brings enhancements such as GPU render layers, making automatic UV generation optional on import, improved tool options UI, and more.
- [Rendering] Rendering PSD format with GPU will now produce render layers.
- [Rendering] Laptops with Windows NVIDIA GPUs will now have improved automatic detection for using GPU raytracing.
- [Rendering] Improved the visualization of area lights in the real time rendering engine. They are now more accurately displayed as areas and should be closer to the raytraced engine result.
- [Import] Generating automatic UV is now optional when importing a model, instead of always on. You can manage this in the preferences.
- [UI] Common transformation tool options (transform space, snapping, and collision toggles) are now available on the viewport control bar for easier access.
- [UI] The viewport control bar has been slightly rearranged to account for the tool options being added.
- [UI] The render settings panel has been switched to a popover to account for the placement on the viewport control bar.
- [Collision] Turning collision on for an object will now automatically activate it for the scene in the tool options as well.
- [Collision] You can now enable collision for objects using the scene panel badge when the scene wide tool option is disabled.
- [Selection] Added a new marquee select tool which allows you to create marquee box selections in the viewport. The default shortcut is Q.
- [Selection] Scene hierarchy navigation shortcuts: You can now select parents and children via shortcut, making it easier to navigate complex scene hierarchies in the viewport. The default shortcuts are [ and ] to step up and down the hierarchy.
- [Selection] You can now use Shift+Cmd (Mac) or Shift+Ctrl (Win) to do additive selection while using the transform tools. Holding shift alone will continue to inverse selections.
- [Lights] Physical lights will now orient to the surface they are aimed at when adding a light.
- [Lights] Physical lights are now included in the frame selection action.
- [Assets] Two new pedestal models in the starter assets for showcasing characters, props, and other assets.
- [Assets] Two new materials in the starter assets for environmental design.
- [Selection] The shortcut to toggle transform space has changed from Q to T. Q is now used for the marquee select tool.
- [Crash] Resolved a crash that could happen when loading a Stager file due to incorrectly reading camera data.
- [Crash] Resolved a crash that could happen when adding background images.
- [Materials] Resolved an issue where some materials could not be transformed (rotation, offset, tiling).
- [Images] Resolved an issue where the "edit" button failed to launch other applications (Photoshop/Illustrator) for editing images.
(Released December 14, 2021)
Summary : General bug fix release.
- [Rendering] Resolved an issue where canceling a render caused the app to hang.
- [Rendering] Resolved an issue where using the denoiser resulted in blank patches in the final render.
- [Rendering] Resolved an issue where snapshotting with raytracing on fails to capture the raytraced scene content.
- [UI] Partially resolved an issue where trying to close the app on Windows causes the app to hang. If you continue to experience this please report it to substance3Demail@example.com
- [UI] Resolved an issue where applying a material to an object would make the collision object properties disappear.
- [Import] Resolved an issue where importing a Stager file would instead open the Stager file.
- [Materials] Resolved an issue where grayscale color sliders UI components fail to read SBSAR format material default settings correctly.
(Released February 15, 2022)
Summary : General bug fix release.
- [Rendering] Resolved an issue where the environment light wasn't visible in final renders.
- [Rendering] Resolved an issue where MSAA was not working for real time viewport rendering.
- [Tools] Resolved an issue where Magic Wand size setting was not funcitoning.
- [Tools] Resolved an issue where marquee select did not function in some areas of the viewport.
- [UI] Resolved an issue where the camera and light widgets were rendering at the wrong size in the viewport.
- [UI] Resolved an issue where the properties panel would stop working after editing a parametric asset.
- [UI] Resolved an issue where the properties panel wouldn't display correctly if loading a parametric model without exposed parameters.
- [UI] Resolved an issue where float values would create sliders that didn't work when reading some parametric assets.
- [Log] Resolved an issue where the app log was not writing correctly, reducing the the ability to identify and resolve bugs.