Send To functionality is only available for the Adobe version of Substance 3D Designer, it is not available in the Steam version.
The workflow is usually as following:
- (For sending Substance 3D assets only) Set Type attribute for Substance graph(s)
- Select the item to send in the Explorer panel
- Send to application of choice
- Make changes to graph(s)
- Resend to update with your changes.
Set Type attribute
Substance graphs can have many functionalities. You will have to define in advance what the exact functionality of a Graph is, to make sure it can be sent over properly. In the Attributes of a graph, there is a Type option, with a dropdown that has the following options:
- Unspecified is the default type if you have not set it. Depending on what application you send to, it might be interpreted differently. Painter will default to Material for example.
- Standard Material is for multi-channel PBR materials, with properly labeled outputs.
- Decal Material is for a multi channel PBR material with alpha channel, to be applied as Decal in Substance 3D Painter or Sampler.
- Atlas Material is for a multi-channel PBR material consisting of several atlas images, for use with the Atlas Scatter node in Designer or Sampler.
- Filter is for general-purpose filters, both used in Painter or Sampler.
- Mesh-Based Generator is for multi-input mask generators. This is used only by Painter.
- Texture Generator is for single-channel maps, like 2D procedurals and noises.
- Environment Light is for a single-channel Lighting Environment, used to light scenes and objects.
- Light texture is for a single channel texture applied to a physical Light.
Send to ...
There are two ways to send content, both require you to first selecting the item which should be sent.
Sending a Substance 3D asset (SBSAR)
- Right-click on a package and open the Send To submenu in the contextual menu, then choose the Send to Substance 3D Painter, Send to Substance 3D Sampler or Send to Substance 3D Stager option
- Click on the Explorer panel, then choose the Send to Substance 3D Painter, Send to Substance 3D Sampler or Send to Substance 3D Stager Publish/Send button at the top of the
Sending a Substance model (SBSM)
- Right-click on a Substance model graph in a package and select the Send to Substance 3D Stager option in the contextual menu
- Click on the Explorer panel, then choose the Send to Substance 3D Stager option Publish/Send button at the top of the
Resend to ... (Substance 3D assets only)
When sending again a package which was already sent once to the same target application, the asset will be updated in the target application with the new version.
Send to Player
Substance 3D Player has support for both Substance 3D files (SBS) and Substance 3D assets (SBSAR).
Sending to Player requires that the Substance 3D Player executable is manually located by the user, which may be done:
- when prompted if Player was never located since Designer was installed
- at any time in the Tools menu, using the Substance Player > Locate... option.
When sending to Player, no Substance 3D asset is published and the Substance 3D file is always sent directly.
In Player, receiving from Designer requires that the Substance 3D Designer installation directory is manually located by the user, which may be done:
- when prompted if Designer was never located since Player was installed
- at any time in the Options menu, using the Locate Adobe Substance 3D Designer option
You might get errors sending packages, such as Error sending package to Substance 3D Painter. Check the console for details. SBSAR export failed.
This usually is because of standard error and warnings, fix them to solve the issue:
- No output nodes defined in your graph. Add output nodes and connect something to them.
- Missing or broken variables in Get nodes in functions. Track them down by yellow warning badges on nodes.